EWC supports reforms in secondary education by contributing to democratic institutional development of schools. The activities are based on the whole school approach and focus on strengthening democratic culture and fostering development of democratic competences at school.
School change projects
The work on school development in Ukraine is a continuation of the Schools for Democracy Programme (2015-2017), a successful national programme in education for democratic citizenship. It supports 240 schools in their democratic institutional development aiming at creating a safe and inclusive learning environment that could better foster democratic competences of students.
Project activities are designed to support introduction of sustainable and systematic democratic changes in three areas of school life: school governance and learning environment, teaching and learning, and cooperation with the community. The Project is implemented in close cooperation with the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine and in partnership with the Center of Education Initiatives (Lviv). It is operated via a network of trainers organized into eight regional hubs each supporting up to 30 schools.
The project provides guidance, support and mentoring to schools through:
- intensive trainings for school teams – teachers, school heads, parents and community actors;
- follow-up workshops at schools involving all key stakeholders – students, teachers, parents, school administration and local community actors;
- school projects in one of the three areas of school development (teaching and learning, school governance and learning environment, and cooperation with the community);
- national conferences and regional dissemination seminars for peer-learning and experience sharing with 800 more schools;
- mini-grants scheme for strengthening local and regional cooperation between schools.
Stronger partnerships with the community
Teacher training modules and materials
- Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs